bookertmgs1 wrote:I have lapped the rear hub cone to the hub with course and then fine grinding paste - but havent then checked fit with engineers blue after that.
Thats probably a winter job after the next couple of rallies.
confident that the replacement parts I've fitted are of decent quality - MB etc - the only questionable part would be the Scootopia Hub. I've read / seen comments about variable quality - but the only alternative would be a UNI hub - have seen similar quality issues with those too.
Think its worth clarifying the "play" - on mine - its only the slightest "rock" when the rim / tyre is fitted. Cant feel anything when just the hub is fitted
If the process of course through to fine grinding paste has been done to optimise the contact surface of hub to cone, followed by intensive cleaning prior to assembly, with a smear of grease upon fitting & torquing up, that should achieve as good a fit as could ever be achieved. The factories would never have gone to such lengths when new machines were available.
If any discernible play has been eliminated, that is excellent.
The play between the hub & the fitted wheel is another matter & the interfaces need checking. The rims mounting surfaces need to be flat with no burrs or excessive paint build-up on either side. I believe that the OEM M8 domed nuts (14 or 13 mm AF) were likely a higher grade in terms of strength than the commonly available replacements & even the OEM washers were harder than the norm. Despite the wheel rim nuts being nyloc, I think that the OEM washers were hard, single coil, rectangular section spring washers & their use will always contribute to the wheel rim to hub fit.